Equine Interstate Event Permit - Six Month Interstate Travel

Virginia offers to horse owners the option of obtaining an EIEP allowing southeastern interstate travel for six months in lieu of multiple 30 day health certificates.  The permit is recognized by the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.  


What you will need to have for your horse:

1.  Negative Coggins with the blood draw date within the past six (6) months and a legible copy for attachment to the application.  If a digital Coggins is used, this can also serve as the source of the 3-view digital photographs.

2.  Identification - Required.  Either a microchip or 3-view digital photographs.  If microchipped, the microchip has to be ISO compliant 15 digit microchip in the nuchal ligament.

3.  A Physical exam has to be performed and you, the owner, will need to demostrate your ability to perform an abbreviated physical exam including obtaining the horse's temperature (rectal or by scanning thermal chip if available) and fill out the sample travel Itinerary.  When your passport is issured, a travel itinerary will also be provided.  You will be required to keep it current.

4.  A Virginia origin Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI or Health Certificate / Paper) will be needed for the first trip the horse will be taking.

A message received from Virginia Department of Agricultrue and Consumer Services (VDACS) on 2/20/2014 states that Virginia currently does not offer options for laminate  CVIs, EIAs or Equine Permits.